The Centennial School, District 8
On December 5, 1845 the State of Michigan conveyed a parcel of land to George S. Lovett who kept the ground un 1865 when the land was sold to Tolford Durham with the understanding that the land be used for school purposes only.
The Charles Durham family transferred the 1/2 acre to the school board of School District #8 on August 14, 1907 and the school remained in session until 1958 when the district was joined with the Coopersville Public Schools.
The white building at the corner of 56th Avenue and Taft stood as a landmark until 1994 when the building was burned.
Early Picture of the Centennial School Students in 1909
Created: 9 Sep 2011