One-Room Schoolhouses - Hudsonville School District
In the present Hudsonville School District (1980's), there were at least 10 one-room schools. Their location and present use are described below:
Alward School - located at 3811 Port Sheldon Road, where a present school now operates. The original school, which was built on Alward land, was located on what is now the school's parking lot.
Bell School - located at 3390 8th Avenue, is now a private residence.
Bursley School - Original school replaced and is located at the corner of Van Buren and 12th Avenue
Chrysler School - Located on 42nd Avenue and Fillmore Street. Possibly named for the Chrysler/Chrisler family who lived in the area. It no longer exists.
Corwin School - located on 72nd Avenue, north of Port Sheldon, it is now privately owned and is used for storage.
Forest Grove School - Perry Street and 32nd Avenue. The first school building which was made of logs, burned down and a second was built and burned down in 1882. The present building is the third on the site.
Gitchell School - located on the corner of 24th Avenue and 100th Street. It served the children of the community from 1874-1957. It is now a private residence.
Haire School - Located on the north side of Fillmore west of Cottonwood Drive. It no longer exists.
Indian Trails School - located between 32nd Avenue and 30th Avenue, one mile from Gitchell School.
Jamestown School - The first log schoolhouse was moved to the Blandford Nature Center. The building had been replaced by a brick schoolhouse in 1865 and rested on what is now the site of the present Jamestown Township offices.
Shackhuddle School - 2091 Barry Street. The first school was wooden and burned down. The second brick building was used until about 1963 when the pupils went to Jamestown Elementary School. It is now a private home. The school was named for the tar-paper shacks in the area at the time.
South Blendon School - Located at 5857 Port Sheldon, the building is now used a private residence.
Star School - Located at the northwest corner of 8th Avenue and Byron Road. It became a seasonal residence for migrant workers who worked in Bos' Orchards. It is no longer in use.
West Grove School - 48th Avenue north of Perry. It is now a private residence.
Zutphen School - Located at 40th Avenue and Greenly Street, the schoolhouse is now used as a toolshed.
Transcriber: Evelyn Sawyer
Created: 5 July 2003