Organization and History of the Crockery Township Schools

Crockery School

The first schoolhouse in Crockery Township was set on what later became the grounds of Terra Verde Golf Course (11741 Leonard). The one room frame building was purchased from the Spoonville School Board for $100 in 1864 and used until a new one was built eleven years later. The original school was moved and used as a German Church, but its ultimate fate was unknown. The second school, a two-story frame building, was used until 1956. Through the succeeding years the building served as a storage facility until 1998, when Bonnie Corbin spotted the abandoned building. She and her husband purchased it from Gerald Pitcher with the intent of making it their residence.

Nunica School

The first schoolhouse in Crockery Township was built on what later became the grounds of Terra Verde Golf Course [11741 Leonard]. The one-room frame building was purchased from Spoonville School Board for $100 in 1864 and used until a new one was built eleven years later. The original school was moved and used as a German church, but its ultimate fate is unknown. The second school, a two-story frame building, was used until 1956. Though the succeeding years the building served as a storage facility until 1998, when Bonnie Corbin spotted the abandoned building. She and her husband purchased it from Gerald Pitcher with the intent of making it into their residence.

Taylor School

Built in Crockery Township on Leonard Road, just west of 100th Avenue, Taylor was the first Township school. It was organized in 1849 and named for its first teacher.


Transcriber: Barb Jones
Created: 3 May 2007
URL: http://ottawa.migenweb.net/schools/crockery/schhistory.html