Holland Daily Sentinel, August 27, 1927
Noted Allegan Citizen Dies
Henry L. Green Prominent There for Many Years
Henry L. Green, for nine years a clerk of Allegan County during the time when Allegan was a village, is dead. During his long incumbency as clerk, Mr. Green determined to make the Allegan Township a real library and secured a yearly levy of half a mill tax on both township and village for this purpose. This money was used wisely and from that time the library grew in popularity and value until it was housed in the present Carnegie Building. Mr. Green was also a member of the village council and in both offices left a record for faithfulness and industry.
He was born in Burr Oak, Michigan, December 26, 1841, and enlisted from there in Company H, First Michigan Infantry, serving four years with that fidelity to duty that distinguished him in all activities of life. He was married to Mary J. McClellan, February 9, 1868, and came to Allegan in 1888. Here his integrity and sterling worth made him many friends. His wife and four children: Ernest, Ella, Henry and Olla, survive him.
Transcriber: Joan Van Spronsen
Created: 17 May 2007