OLD DUTCH NAMING PATTERNS:
- 1st - Paternal grandfather,
- 2nd - maternal grandfather,
- 3rd - paternal great-grandfather,
- 4th - maternal great-grandfather,
- 5th and subsequent - favorite brothers or uncles
of the parents -- the first flexibility introduced into the system.
|Female children: The identical pattern except maternal relatives
precede paternal relatives.
|Variations: (1) All Dutch names have male and female variations. If after
three or four children there have been no males (or no females) a boy will
receive the male variation of his grandmother (or a girl will receive a female
variation of her grandfather). Female variations often end with "je" or "ke."
[see John's Notebook for variations (2)
(3) (4) (5) & (6)] -no longer available}