Spring Lake Christian Reformed Church, 1882-1982


Oldest Spring Lake Christian Reformed Church Building
 

History Highlights

1882 – Organization of church. Building started. Parsonage purchased. Catechism classes begun.

1883 – Candiate P. Ekster becomes our first pastor.

1887 – Rev. J. Post becomes our second pastor. "Cstorie kamer" built onto rear of church.

1888 – Church debt is paid by borrowing from various church funds.

1890 – Rev. W. H. Frieling becomes our third pastor.

1894 – Sullivan Church formed from our church.

1895 – Candidate M. DeBoer becomes our fourth pastor.

1897 – Corner lot to the north of the church purchased.

1899 – Candidate E. VanKorlaar becomes our fifth pastor.

1902 – Rev. J. L. VanTielen becomes our sixth pastor. First organ purchased.

1903 – First services in English.

1904 – Coal furnace installed under the church.

1905 – Sunday School begins.

1907 – Rev. P. Bloem becomes our seventh pastor. R. Kamstra completes twenty-five years of continuous service as deacon.

1909 – Rev. J. Post begins his second pastorate in our church.

1910 – Present parsonage built. First Sunday School picnic.

1911 – Gas lights replace oil lamps in church.

1914 – Consistory decides not to baptize babies of parents who have not made profession of faith. The Rev. B. Zwaagman becomes the ninth pastor.

1915 – Women’s Society organized at Ferrysburg.

1917 – Candidate J. H. Monsma becomes our tenth pastor. Two English services per month. Mission Sunday School at Ferrysburg revitalized. Budge system introduced.

1919 – Church wired for electricity and electric lights installed.

1920 – New organ acquired. Entrance of church remodeled.

1922 – Candidate E. Boeve becomes our eleventh pastor. English services every Sunday morning.

1924 – Consistory no longer stands during congregational prayer. Alternate "Feestdag" services in English. Girls’ Society, later called Christian Reformed Circle, organized. Remained active until 1949.

1925 – Basement built under church, providing new consistory room, kitchen and Sunday School rooms.

1927 – Candidate C. VanTil becomes our twelfth pastor.

1928 – Firs group of our children attend the Grand Haven Christian School.

1929 – Rev. J. P. DeVries becomes our thirteenth pastor. Two English and one Dutch service each Sunday. Spire changed to low tower.

1930 – First consistory minutes written in English.

1932 – Plans to celebrate our fiftieth anniversary cancelled due to the death of our minister’s wife.

1936 – Printed bulletins used in place of verbal announcements.

1937 – Name changed to Spring Lake Christian Reformed Church. Individual communion cups first used at communion service.

1942 – Organ rebuilt and electrified.

1947 – Gleaners’ Missionary Society organized. Partial support of Miss Nell Lam undertaken (until 1954). Lot to the south of the church purchased for parking. Seminarian John S. DeVries begins the mission work at Ferrysburg.

1948 – Rev. C. DeHaan becomes our fourteenth pastor. Last regular service in Dutch.

1949 – Spring Lake Christian School Society merges with Grand Haven’s.

1951 – Partial support of Miss Ann Bosch undertaken (until 1953).

1953 – Ferrysburg Church organized out of our membership. Candidate E. H. Palmer becomes our fifteenth pastor.

1956 – Full support of the Rev. C. Persenaire undertaken as missionary to Nigeria. Property on Lake Avenue and Fall Street acquired as building site for new church.

1957 – Miss Carolyn Wezeman employed part-time for home mission work. Seventy-fifth anniversary celebration. Rev. C. William Flietstra became our 16th pastor.

1958 – Congregation approved minimum cost of new church building to be $110,000.00.

1959 – Calvinist Cadet Corp program was started.

1960 – Plans for new church building were accepted and financing approved. Miss Dorothy Palma was hired as home mission worker. Hattie Dykema property was sold for $8,000.00.

1961 – Ground was broken for new church building.

1962 – Rev. Marvin VanderWerp became our 17th pastor. Support for Cornelius Korhorn to Nigeria was undertaken. Support for Miss Marilyn Wezeman in Ogden, Utah was given for one year. Alvin Huisman was engaged as a part time worker. Farewell to old church and dedication of new sanctuary. Mr. and Mrs. Stuart VanderLee loaned the use of their organ until our new organ was installed.

1964 – Lot next to parsonage lot was purchased. Witness of the CRC was extended through a telephone service and ads in the daily newspaper. Our church received $3,500.00 from the estate of Miss Carrie DeVries. The parking lot was blacktopped. Mr. John Plutschouw was appointed our first church historian. A hearing aid system for the pews was purchased at a cost of $116.00. Our new Schantz Pipe Organ was dedicated by Mr. John Hamersma, S.M.D.

1965 – Junior Cadet Club was organized.

1967 – Rev. and Mrs. VanderWerp were honored upon his retirement from active ministry. Ruth DeBoer volunteered a year’s service in the Christian Service Corp of the CRC.

1968 – The old parsonage was sold for $16,000.

1969 – Rev. E. J. Persma became our 18th pastor. A junior choir was organized by Mrs. Fred Peterson.

1970 – The property of Mrs. Gertrude Bolthouse was deeded to the church.

1973 – The newly acquired parking lot was blacktopped. Miss Betty Hendricks left work in Zuni and was replaced by Miss Lynn Veenstra. Lights were installed in the parking lot. Amendment to our Articles of Incorporation were accepted. The parsonage basement was paneled by our young people.

1974 – Rev. Andrew Zylstra became our 19th pastor. Time of evening worship was changed to 6 o’clock.

1975 – A sprinkling system was installed on church property.

1976 – Elders were to sit with their families at the morning worship service. Coffee Break Neighborhood Evangelism was started. Miss Lynn Veenstra resigned her work in Zuni and was replaced by Jeff Kamps. Bi-monthly mission programs, sponsored by the Gleaners, began to be held after the evening service, preceded by a coffee time fellowship.

1977 – The building fund indebtedness was paid from the special gifts fund. We had a special service for the burning of the mortgage. Our first newsletter was published. First Maundy Thursday service replaced Good Friday service. Mr. Scott VanderMolen replaced Jeff Kamps as missionary in Zuni. Grape juice replaced wine at Communion. All confessing members, men and women, would be allowed to vote at Congregational meetings.

1978 – Mr. Jack Dik was installed as Director of Church Education. Faith Promise method of support for our missionaries was introduced. Bethel Bible series to be studied. Children’s church for three and four year olds to be held during the morning service.

1981 – Lavan Tinklenberg replaced Cloe Ann Danford as missionary in Haiti.

1982 – Centennial Celebration.

 

Pastors

PASTOR

YEARS

P. EKSTER

1882-1886

J. POST

1886-1890

W. H. FRIELING

1891-1894

M. DE BOER

1895-1898

E. VAN KORLAAR

1899-1902

J. L. VAN TIELEN

1902-1907

P. BLOEM

1907-1909

J. POST

1909-1914

B. ZWAAGMAN

1914-1917

J. H. MONSMA

1917-1920

E. BOEVE

1922-1927

C. VAN TIL

1927-1929

J. P. DE VRIES

1929-1947

C. DE HAAN

1948-1953

E. H. PALMER

1953-1957

C. W. FLIETSTRA

1957-1961

M. J. VANDER WERP

1962-1967

E. PIERSMA

1969-1973

ANDREW ZYLSTRA

1974-

 

Elders

Elders

BAKKER, GEERT

BLOEM, H. K.

BLOEM, KLAAS

BOL, JOHN

BOLTHOUSE, HENRY K.

BONEMA, EDZE

BONEMA, JOHN

BORGMAN, JOHN

BULTHUIS, ABE

DE GLOPPER, HOWARD

DE VRIES, SIMON

DE YOUNG, JOHAN

DYKMAN, EARL

GROENEVELT, DERK

HALL, EVART

HOLSTROP, JOHN

HOLTROP, ABEL

HOLTROP, JOHN

HORSMAN, BEREND KLEIN

KATT, DONALD

KNOLL, CLARENCE

KNOLL, KLAAS

KOSTER, EDWARD

KOSTER, JAN

KUIPER, CLAUDE

KUIPER, HARM

KUIPER, JOHN

LANING, GEORGE

LANING, JACOB

MERSEMAN, BERENT

MUNDAY, CHARLES

NABERHUIS, EIZE

NIEBOER, ALBERT

OLTHOF, WILLIAM

OOSTING, HARM

PAASMAN, WILLIAM

PLAISIER, JAMES

PLUTSCHOUW, JOHN

PLUTSCHOUW, LESLIE (NICK)

ROSEMA, HARM H.

ROSEMA, HIKE

ROSEMA, WILLIAM H.

RUITER, BARTELD

RUITER, RALPH

RYCENGA, JACOBG

SCHRAM, HARLAN

SKWARK, ROBERT

SLINGS, HRENY

SPOELMA, SIEWERT

STALL, IDE

STEHOUWER, BEN

TEUNIS, GARRET

TEUNIS, MARSHALL

TEUNIS, WILLIAM

THOMAS, HERBERT

VAANDERING, AREND

VAN DYKE, PETER

VAN DYKEN, SIMON

VANDER ZWAAG, DOUGLAS

VANDER ZWAAG, HENDRIK

VANDER ZWAAG, JAN

VANDER ZWAAG, RAY

VOSS, ONNO

WARNERS, LLOYD

WESTERHUIS, JAN

WESTHOF, DICK

WEZEMAN, ALBERT

WEZEMAN, HENRY

WEZEMAN, LOUIS

WIERENGA, HARRY

WIERENGA, PETER

WIERSMA, BURNIE

 

Deacons

Deacons

Bakker, Pieter

Bloem, H. K.

Bloem, Klaas

Bol, John E.

Bolt, Arthur

Bolthouse, Harm K.

Bonema, Luutje

Bos, Carroll

Bosch, Arie

Bosch, Dick A.

Bosch, Russel

Brondyke, Calvin

Bross, Ronald

Carlson, Dale

DeGlopper, Howard

DeHaan, F.

DeHeer, Adrian

Deiters, John

DeVries, Simon

DeYoung, Johan

Dieleman, Frank

Dykman, Earl

Ekster, Jan

Fisher, Everett

Gritter, Alfred

Haan, K.

Hasper, James

Holtrop, Abel

Holtrop, John

Holtrop, Larry

Horsman, Berend Klein

Kamp, Donald

Kamstra, Reinder

Katt, Donald

Katt, John J.

Kidd, Burnie

Kieft, Ronald

Klunder, Peter

Knoll, Clarence

Koster, Edward

Koster, James

Koster, John

Koster, John G.

Kuiper, Claude

Kuiper, Hemmo

Kuiper, John

Kuiper, Raymond

Langeland, Leon

Laning, George

Laning, Jacob

LeJeune, John W.

Linudemulder, Clarence

Luben, Stanley

Machiele, Paul

Meyer, Louis

Michele, Charles

Mollema, Albert

Munday, Charles

Naberhuis, Eize

Nieboer, Albert

Olthof, Henry

Olthof, William

Olthouf, Sybrant

Oostema, Albert

Paasman, William

Peterson, Andrew

Peterson, Clinton

Plaisier, James

Plutschouw, John

Plutschouw, Leslie (Nick)

Ritzema, Klaas

Rosema, H.

Rosema, Harm H.

Ruiter, John

Rycenga, Jacob

Skwark, Robert

Smant, Gerrit

Smith, Lane

Smitt, E.

Smitter, John

Spoelma, P.

Spoelma, Siewert

Stehower, Ben

Suchecki, George

Teunis, Brian

Teunis, George

Teunis, John

Teunis, Marshall

Vaandering, Arend

VanBeek, Gordon

VanderKley, Sake

VanderLee, Stuart

VanderZee, Robert

VanderZwaag, Joe

VanderZwaag, Ray

VanDyke, Eugene

VanHouten, peter

VanKlinken, John

VanOrman, James

VanOrrdt, Donald

VanVelsen, Rodney

Vink, Walter

Warners, Lloyd

Westerhuis, Klaas

Westhof, Dick

Wezeman, Anthony

Wezeman, Louis

Wierenga, Eugene

Wierenga, George

Wierenga, William, Jr.

Wiersma, Burnie

Workman, Ralph

Workman, Simon

Yonker, John

Transcriber: Evelyn Sawyer
Created: 26 November 2005
URL: http://ottawa.migenweb.net/churches/christianref/springlkCRC.html