The West Olive Cemetery is located in Olive Township,
Ottawa County, Michigan.
History of West Olive Cemetery
In April of 1924, Port Sheldon Township broke away from Olive Township. Up until that time, all of that area was included in Olive Township. Although West Olive Cemetery is located in Olive Township, it is under the jurisdiction of Port Sheldon Township. Port Sheldon Township does not have a cemetery within its
boundary. About 1936 the cemetery became the property of Port Sheldon Township.
NOTE: Port Sheldon Township formed its own cemetery about 2004 and West Olive Cemetery is again under the jurisdiction of Olive Township.
The following are some known burials on farms in the West Olive area.
August Garbrecht Farm – Section 11, Port Sheldon Cemetery
Two babies of Carl Ludwig Gottlieb Garbrecht and Augusta Louise Marie Wille, grandparents of August. There are no tombstones.
In Section 12 of Port Sheldon Township, there are five burials.
3 are on the property of Stephen and Betty Styx – SW corner of Taylor and US-31.
Children of August and Anna Breckert who died of diptheria:
Emma Breckert, age 14 years, died June 24, 1893
Frederick Breckert, 17 yrs., 9 mos., died June 19, 1893
Lena Breckert, 12 yrs., 8 mos., died June 24, 1893
There are no markers. Probably buried between the railroad tracks and the east side of the house. A little further south are two more burials. A child, Minnie, 16 yrs., 20 days, who died 12 July 1893 and the mother, Anna Breckert.
Another farm burial is Ada Crocker, 11 yrs. old who died in the 1870’s. The location is on 168th Street between Stanton and Fillmore Streets.
Transcriber: Evelyn Sawyer
Created: 13 May 2004